Friday 25 July 2014

Kian Hua Hotel: Postcard from the past

This old picture taken in 1982, opens a window to Kian Hua Hotel. The little alley (most likely Lorong Mandai, now expunged) off Bencoolen Street led into a community, a village of sorts. The hotel has gone but the building (81, Bencoolen Street)is still standing. 



Before development took plakce at Bencoolen Street, there was also Nam Hai Hotel, the building was not as "grand" as Kian Hua Hotel though. Today, there are still a lot of hotels along Bencoolen Street. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiya, just stumbled upon your blog and saw my old home. The house next to Kian Hua hotel, No 77 Bencoolen Street was home to me from 1968 to 1990. May I ask why did you post that photo? Did you use to llive around Bencoolen Street? I am trying to source more photos of that era from anyone who had a connection there? Reminiscing about my past.

Lo Tien Yin said...

So sorry for this late reply. I only noticed it when I revisited this post today. Hope this reply reaches you. I posted this photo because it was interesting (to me). I took it when I was a reporter in the 1980s and did a story on the residents living around the area. I think you may be able to find more old photographs of the area from the Singapore Archives.