Wednesday 13 July 2022

Huckleberry friend

Moon River has been my favourite song since childhood. I especially like this part: Waiting round the bend, my huckleberry friend...

It must be fantastic to have a "huckleberry" friend waiting round the bend for you. I visualise someone with a backpack waiting for you at an appointed place and time. And once you have arrived, the journey continues, with arms round each other's shoulders (silhouetted against a round, fat  moon).

I didn't manage to catch the 1961 movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" which featured Moon River as its theme song. It is a romantic comedy and has a happy ending, so I read. But the melody and the lyrics didn't sound that upbeat. In fact it sounds a little sad, to me. Somehow, it brought to mind, the story of a loyal dog waiting at the station for his master to return day after day... The master of course, could not, having died in the war.

Poor huckleberry friend. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breakfast at Tiffany, I cannot remember whether I saw this movie. However, I remembered it was the theme song of the "Andy Williams" show. To find a Huckleberry friend today, would be like locating a needle in a haystack. Sadly, only can only find such loyalty in man's best friend. It's an endearing character..

Lo Tien Yin said...

Yup. I believe it was Andy William's opening song. I hope you've got a Huckleberry friend. Don't let him go or wait too long.